Sunday, November 30, 2008

Sleepover at Auntie Pae-Pae's

All day Thanksgiving, Holden was rather lovey, sitting with me at almost every opportunity, being upset when I didn't sit next to him at dinner, sitting on my lap while I read him the same book six times...

So, at the end of the evening, Brenda asked Holden if he wanted to go sleep at my house. Really, it was more of a joke than a serious offer. I wouldn't have made it if I hadn't been willing to live up to it, but Holden NEVER wants to sleep anywhere but at his own house, close to his Mom.

So it was a bit of a surprise when Holden didn't answer right away. Instead, he thought about it. And thought about it. And thought so more. And then he said...

"But then I can't watch the 'Credibles'."

And that's what it all boiled down to. If he came to my house, he couldn't watch the Incredibles, which was to be on NBC Thanksgiving night. So we assured him he could watch it at my house, and he was off like a shot, running up the stairs to get his things for the evening.

And what did he come down with?

Wasting no time, Holden ran upstairs and came back down with his essentials. Blanket - check. Pillow - Check. Anything else? Nope - not necessary.

Kaylee also wanted to come sleep over, so she raced upstairs to pack a bag, being a very helpful sister and packing a bag for Holden as well.

At my house, the kids watch the Incredibles. Or, the Incredibles were on, but Holden was more interested in bouncing between my couch and Donovan's, and playing with the dog. Around 8, Holden crashed out on my lap. A little later, Kaylee was ready to call it a night and we moved into my bedroom, where the kids could sleep in my bed.

Around 1, Holden woke up wanting his Dad. I soothed him with Drake and Josh on Nickelodeon while Kaylee moved over to sleep on the pile of couch cushions I had spread out on the floor for a bed (which, thankfully, meant I got to sleep in the bed). After that it was a quiet night and we all slept until around 7.

In the morning after breakfast (toast and cereal) we walked over to Safeway to get the makings for sugar cut-out cookies.




You'll have the pardon the questionable shapes of the cookies. I don't really come equipped with the proper cookie making tools - I don't even own a rolling pin. So, instead, I covered the dough with flour-sprinkled foil and used a can of Pam to roll out the dough. MacGyver-inspired baking!!

When all was said and down, Holden was ready for another sleepover.


A good day.

No comments: