Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Holidays for the Eternal Optimist

Things I've learned about myself over the years...

1 - I'm just a little bit gullible and a whole lot naive. I've known some so called "worldly people" who seem to thrive on other people's pain and suffering, who looked for the worst in people and live by the motto of "Oh well...that's the way it goes." If that's worldly, I'll stick with naive, thank you very much.

2 - I expect great things from the world - almost as much as I expect great things from myself.

3 - My life isn't exactly where I thought it would be at this point. But I'm working on liking myself and my life right now, instead of bemoaning the life I think I should have.

4 - I'm a hopeless (hopeful?) romantic. And on relationships and romance - I'm clueless. No education, no experience. I've never truly had that connection, that moment, that spark. Every relationship joke is an inside joke. And as Michael Scott said:

"I love inside jokes. I'd like to be a part of one some day."

And where is this train of thought going? Well, probably nowhere. But this is what all came to mind this morning when I heard my favorite Christmas song on the radio. AND (special treat for me) this version included the all-too often left out lyrics.

My favorite Christmas song - Winter Wonderland. What I like about it the most is that it is just brimming with romantic holiday hope - kinda like me. Every year, I hear these lyrics and I think..."Well, not this year, but maybe next?" and I'm off in my head, living out the fantasy of building a snowman in that meadow.

Over the ground lies a mantle of white
A heaven of diamonds shine down through the night
Two hearts are thrillin'
In spite of the chill in the weather

Love knows no season, love knows no clime
Romance can blossom any old time
Here in the open
We're walkin and hopin together...

No comments: