Friday, December 19, 2008

6 Geese A Laying...what?


It's amazing what we think geese are capable of producing - all of gold.

First - there's the goose that laid the golden egg.

And then, there's the geese in the Twelve Days of Christmas. Six of them, in fact. Six geese which I can only assume, are some relation to the goose that laid the golden egg. Cause in the Twelve Days of Christmas, these marvelous six geese lay five gold rings.

Which, of course, begs the question - how do six geese come up with five gold rings. Which goose wasn't fully contributing to the Christmas cheer? Which goose was "a-laying" down on the job? Or, maybe two half-wit geese could only produce half a ring each...You think?

Perhaps, I just have too much time to think about these things?


FYI - I do totally understand that "Six Geese a-laying" is not exactly connected to "Five Gold Rings" other than the fact that Five comes after Six when counting down from Twelve. But I always sing it as "Six geese a-laying five gold rings..." Makes me giggle a little every time.

Hey, don't judge me. I get pleasure out of the simple things.

Very. Simple. Things. That's charming, right?

No comments: