Friday, January 2, 2009

Resolute

So, it's January 2nd and I'm just now getting around to writing down my resolutions. Hmmm...my first resolution - Next year, no procrastinating on my resolutions.

So...here it is...2009.

2008 had it's highs and lows. I got a new dog in January, a new job in March, a new address in July. Got to spend the football season with my boys (Yea for Direct TV Sunday ticket) - so I watched all 16 games.

Discovered the world of blogging - Found that true love does exist (at least for other people), that family is what it's all about, that good can triumph and that prayers work - and that's my shout-out to the families of NieNie.

The lows...well, I spent the last four months staring 32 in the face, and feeling that my life had not progressed as far as I would have hoped since staring 31 in the face a year ago. And so, this year...that's my resolution. That when I stare 33 in the face, I will have changed those things in my life that I can control. So...here they are - my 2009 resolutions:

1. Well, the perennial number one resolution - Lose weight. Be healthy. This year, however, I'm going to create a specific plan of attack - more details to come.

2. Expand my mind - Read 5 books that I probably should have read in high school. Books without romance, car chases, crazy serial killers and an inept bounty hunter. Some ideas...Farenheit 451, Brave New World, Catch 22. Just a few suggestions. And no cheating - no choosing books that also get picked by my book club.

3. Expand my mind with American History. I used to love history, particularly American History. I've collected quite the assortment of books about people in history, so it would be nice to do something with these books besides dust around them. Some suggestions - America (yeah, it was written by Jon Stewart from the Daily Show, but I may actually learn something from it), The Idiot's Guide to American History (I think that's what it's called), John Adams, What If?, and a Short History of the American Revolution. Read at least 3 of them.

4. Read the Old Testament. I have one of those Bibles that has the Old and New Testaments divided up into 365 entries, and I've attempted to read an entry every day, but fell far behind at one point and never took the time to catch up. Last year I was going to read it, but the Bible was packed away in one of the boxes I had in storage. This year...no excuses.

5. Take pictures. A think I've probably got like 2 dozen pictures that represent that last 5 years of my life. Change that - the digital camera I got for Christmas should help.

6. Finances - Pay off some debt. Set specific goals - more details on that to be worked out. :)

No comments: