Monday, January 19, 2009

32 Came As A Surprise


I should have seen it coming. There were some clues.

I offered to buy lunch (with a gift card) at the Village Tavern at Flatiron Crossing Mall, and my mom says, "No, save it."

"For what?" I asked, somewhat sarcastically.

"I see your social life opening up." was her answer.

Another time, she says to me, "Maybe I'll throw you a surprise party for your birthday."

My response..."Who would you invite? Brenda's friends?"

So, I really should have seen it coming when Mom walked into my house the Friday before my birthday, and then told me to open the door. But I didn't, exactly, see it coming.

So it was definitely a SURPRISE! when I opened the door to Becky, all the way from Angola, Indiana to wish Moi a Happy Birthday.

And it couldn't have been any happier!

So, how did I celebrate the beginning of my 32nd year on the planet?

How about a rodeo? The National Western Stock Show's in town, so Friday night kicked off the weekend watching true American cowboys spend the longest 8 seconds of my life riding the back of a bucking bronco, or holding on tight to a raging bull, or jumping off a galloping horse to land on a running calf. Part of me is in awe that any human being would subject themselves to this. The other part of me is in awe that these men have been doing this all their lives. That these people learned to ride a horse before they learned to walk. That horses, cows, roping and lassoing is a way of live, even in this age. That this life is the true American way of life.

And, because it's my wild and crazy friend Becky, and because it's my birthday weekend, and because growing old may be required, but growing up is optional, I celebrated by wearing a blinking tiara the whole evening.

Saturday, we drove through Boulder, Boulder being the closest to "in" the mountains that I wanted to be this time of year. We drove up Mapleton road to a small park that overlooks the city of Denver - or at least, the haze that is the city of Denver.

Then a quick stop at Flatiron Crossing for lunch (to use that gift card on my newfound social life), then a voyage under the sea in the Downtown Aquarium. Becky and I cozied up to Sharky for pics...

And, then it was home for the evening - pizza, chit-chat and Brain Donors.

If nothing else, I think it says something that someone would fly all the way across the country to see me. It says...
I have amazing friends.
I have amazing family.
And, despite all my whiny and crying...
I am loved.

No comments: